• Greater Binghamton Office
    (607) 757 2100
  • Penn Yan Office
    (315) 536 7456

Experienced Agents Frequently Asked Questions

What are the advertising guidelines for business cards?

Understanding that a business card is a form of advertisement, it must conform to the general advertising standards. It must be truthful and not misleading. To avoid consumer confusion a business card must include at least the following information:

  • The name and address of the brokerage as licensed by the Division (or the branch office if the salesperson is associated with one)
  • The individual's full name, as licensed
  • Type of license held:
    • Licensed Real Estate Broker
    • Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
    • Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
  • The firm's business telephone number

The inclusion of additional information is recommended, (business titles, business e-mail address, specialization, trade affiliations or accreditations), providing the information is true and not misleading.
A licensee may include their home e-mail address, cell and/or home telephone numbers, provided that there is a notation that such are residence numbers, and further that such use is not extended to any activity that would constitute branch office operation.

Whom do I call if I am not sure whether I completed my 22.5 hours of continuing education during my license term?

Contact the school(s) you attended. Schools are required by law to maintain course completion records for three years. You may request duplicate certificates from the school(s) in the event you are audited.

I completed the 45-hour broker qualifying course. Can I apply the extra 22.5 hours to my next license term?

No. The law clearly states that continuing education must be completed within each license term.

I could not complete the continuing education, but I wish to renew my license anyway. Can I apply for an extension?

Please refer to §177.6 in the real estate law booklet. Extensions will only be granted in bona fide hardship cases. You must submit the following, preferably prior to your license expiration: a written request for the extension, completed renewal form, fee, and original documentation demonstrating your hardship; i.e., medical documentation.

I think I might be exempt, but I am not sure when I originally became licensed. Where can I find out when I was first licensed?

Contact the Department of State; however, they only maintains seven years of real estate records. You may possibly determine your original date of licensure if you know when you completed the salesperson course and how long it took you after completing the course to apply for your license.

What happens if I do not complete my continuing education and don't renew my license?

If you do not renew your license, you cannot conduct any real estate activities that require a New York State real estate license in accordance with Article 12-A of the Real Property Law. There are no grace periods that allow you to continue working while not licensed. You have two years from the date your license expires to renew your license. If you fail to renew within that period, you will be required to pass the state written examination. No continuing education will be required to repeat the licensing process again.

When you submit your new salesperson application, you must include the following: your new examination results, application fee, and a copy of your expired license/pocket card or ORIGINAL proof of completing the salesperson course. If possible, it is better to submit original proof of your salesperson course. If you do not have an original certificate, call the school where you took the course to request another certificate.

If you are applying for your broker's license, you must submit ORIGINAL proof of your 45-hour salesperson course and 45-hour broker course, or a copy of your expired broker's license.

I have been a real estate licensee for many years. Am I exempt from the continuing education requirements?

Article 12A statutorily requires all real estate brokers and salespeople to complete 22½ hours of Department of State approved education within their two-year license period prior to the date of expiration. The law does provide for an exemption from this requirement for a real estate broker who, prior to July 1 2008, has 15 consecutive years of combined licensure as a salesperson and a broker and who is actively engaged in the real estate business as a real estate broker at the time of renewal or an admitted NYS attorney.